Samuel Langley contracted pneumonia as a result of being drenched by water while fighting a fire. He had only been sick for four days when he passed away. His death came as a shock to his family and many friends. In his obituary, Sam was described as one of the best-known citizens of Collingdale. He died at the age of 37 and was a past Chief of the fire company. He resided at 406 Clifton Ave. and was buried at Arlington Cemetary in Drexel Hill. It is believed that Sam was the first Collingdale firefighter to die in the line of duty.