Our Team

Walter L. “Bud” Bley

April 22, 1971

Walter “Bud” Bley died at the age of 54 as the result of a heart attack. He was helping to handle a 2 1/2 inch hose line at the fire at Janess Plumbing Supply Company on the 300 block of MacDade Blvd. He collapsed following an explosion of propane gas cylinders. Bud was taken to Fitzgerald Mercy Hospital where he died. The building was fully involved in flames when firefighters arrived. The Borough Fire Chief was Ed Glanfield and the Captain of Collingdale Fire Co. #1 was Bill Garrity. Bill Lake was the Captain of Collingdale Fire Co. #2. About 40 homes were evacuated until firefighters from 10 companies could bring the fire under control. Bud was also a Marine and served his country in World War II. Mayor Frank Kelly ordered all flags in the Borough to fly at half staff in the memory of Walter Bley. Walter “Bud” Bley was survived by his wife Catherine, two daughters, Susan and Lee Ann, and two sons, William and Bruce, and his mother Mr.s Florence Bley of Cheltenham.